5. Dietary potato soup
- 8 medium potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth/stock
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (I use the Rapunzel brand. Great stuff!)
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon herbs de provence (and herb blend you can find with the other spices at your local store)
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Saute’ the leeks in the olive oil until they become very soft and a little translucent. In a large soup pot, combine the cooked leeks, chopped potatoes, chicken broth, bouillon cube, onion powder, garlic powder, herbs de provence and marjoram. Bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to medium. Stir frequently.
Cook until the potatoes are completely soft and mushy. (As if you were making mashed potatoes) Remove the pot from heat. Blend the entire thing until smooth, using a hand blender (this is the cleanest and easiest method), or by transferring everything from the pot to a blender.