14. Octopus Salad
- 2 pound frozen octopus, thawed and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsle
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 carrot, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Cut off and discard head of octopus, then cut tentacles into 1-inch pieces. Generously cover octopus with water in a heavy medium pot and gently simmer, uncovered, until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Drain octopus in a colander and cool to room temperature, then transfer to a bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and additional sea salt to taste. Let stand 30 minutes for flavors to develop.