- 1 small garlic clove
- 3/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 12 to 16 snails* (from a 7- to 8-oz can)
- About 2 cups kosher salt (for stabilizing snail shells)
- Special equipment: 12 to 16 sterilized escargot shells*
- Accompaniment: French bread
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Using a heavy knife, mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/8 teaspoon table salt. Beat together butter, shallot, garlic paste, parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon table salt, and pepper in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined well. Beat in wine until combined well.
Divide half of garlic butter among snail shells. Stuff 1 snail into each shell and top snails with remaining butter. Spread kosher salt in a shallow baking dish and nestle shells, butter sides up, in salt. Bake snails until butter is melted and sizzling, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately. Available at Dean & Deluca (212-226-6800).